Monday, May 13, 2013

Pretty Big Margin for Error: STAR TREK GENERATIONS



"It is revolting!" -Data

"More?" -Guinan

"Please." -Data

Exactly.

When I first went to see this movie as a kid (7th grader I think), I was blown away by the big effects, developing character story lines and the outrageous humor. In fact, I saw it three times in the theater I loved it so much.  Of course back then I didn't care/notice about plot holes and stuff, I just took what they gave me.  I was an easy mark back then.  When I watch this movie now, the humor is a little much and the plot problems surface a little more in my mind.  However, despite all that is wrong with it, I keep coming back. There's something about the charm, the energy, whatever it is that I just can't ignore.

What I liked:
Much of what happens here derives from the series.  The movies haven't yet forgotten the rich universe from which they came (Nemesis, I'll get to you soon), that being seven seasons on the small screen.  Here we start (in the Next Gen universe) with a promotion of Worf to Lt. Commander.  Though others may not care, anyone who watched the show knows that this has been earned.  We also have Data and the emotion chip, which he got at the start of season seven. We have the Duras sisters. Everything gets a big payoff on the big screen.  As a kid, I couldn't get enough.  Even as an adult, I appreciate it.  The writers Ron Moore and Brannon Braga were still very connected to the show and had the difficult task of writing a passing-of-the-torch movie, all while writing and producing the last two years of the show.  Tall order.  And in their horror, they saw that the series finale they wrote, All Good Things..., was better than Generations!  But still, this was a thrill ride, Data laughs (and swears), the ship goes out with a bang, two legendary captains...this is big screen material for sure.

Also, I love how this movie is lit.  The lighting really takes the look of the ship, interiors and exterior, to another level.  Seeing the Enterprise D on the big screen is a sight to behold.  This ship was meant for widescreen.  

Just gorgeous...

And, of course: Biggest Focefield Ever.  What's not to like there?



What I didn't like:
Two legendary captains get together to...scramble eggs and beat up (blow up) an elderly gentlemen.  I was hoping the reason they needed Kirk would have been bigger.  Moore and Braga admit in the (fantastic) audio commentary they recorded that they missed an opportunity to have Kirk die on the Enterprise D, thus saving two Enterprises in one movie.  They also lament that they didn't have time to explain the nexus properly. I wish they would have too.  The easiest plot problem to spot here is the time when Picard decides to go back to.  He could have saved his ship, he could have saved his family.  Moore's explanation later was that Picard didn't want to change the timeline further than what was absolutely necessary.  Okay, I guess that works, but they still should have explained it better.  And who is this Antonia girl? What about Carol Marcus and David? Shouldn't they be in the Nexus?

Some people (see: Plinkett) really hate this movie.  And, sure, I get that, there are problems galore, but when a movie is this entertaining, I can forgive some problems.  I love these characters, I grew up with them after all.  Also, the nexus is quite interesting if you think about it.  Kirk is truly immortal because of it, since his echo will always be there.  A fitting end for a larger than life character.  


End Transmission.  Starbase 133.

1 comment:

  1. People crap on Generations a lot, but I've always had a (mostly) good impression of it, mainly because it "feels" big. I like the lighting, I like the use of widescreen, I like that it works better on a big screen. (Stellar Cartography especially) I think it grinds to a halt as soon as Picard beams down to the planet though. That whole section should be replaced with something more dynamic, and better dialogue with Picard and Soran.(this is the one chance to really develop Soran's character and it fizzles)

    ReplyDelete