Thursday, May 16, 2013

It's Not Me, It's You: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS



An initial and SPOILER-FREE review:


We showed up an hour early to the show...and it was already packed. Finally settling in the upper right section, I texted a gloat to all my friends while I waited. Then I put on my 3D glasses and enjoyed the show. This might have just been the best crowd I've ever seen a movie with, all laughing and clapping at appropriate and rousing times. I felt like I was hanging out with a bunch of Trekkie friends and that was okay with me. Talk about being miles away from that lonely theater for NEMESIS...

I'm going to avoid talking about the plot here, as I need time to process that anyway. Instead I'll focus on character threads and more general thoughts. Perhaps I'll do a follow-up review that includes story and spoiler info. That stuff will need to get tackled eventually. For now, though, here is my immediate, off-the-cuff response to the movie:


"I see 8 Stephen A. Smiths..."

WHAT I LIKED:
Kurtzman and Orci have once again shown that they know their Trek (why do I keep doubting them?). Right off the bat, there is talk of the Prime Directive and the moral implications of interference with a culture for the sake of saving a life. This sets up the character conflicts for the rest of the movie. It also sets up a path for our characters to grow. And grow they do. Some of the criticisms of the first movie (of this series) is that Kirk attained the rank of Captain too quickly, that he didn't earn it. I get that, but by the end of this movie I think everyone will agree that he has earned the chair. Just as everyone else has earned their respective positions. As I've said before, these are elite heroes, which they prove once again with their skill, intelligence, fortitude and a little dumb luck.

I mentioned in my review of STAR TREK NEMESIS that I enjoyed watching/thinking about a parallel Picard making different choices under different circumstances. Well, here we have a ripple effect from the altered timeline causing certain events to change. What happens is that you get to see how our new parallel characters react to a similar set of circumstances, but at a different time. Would they do or say the same thing? It's interesting in a FRINGE sort of way.

The production did right by keeping the identity of Benedict Cumberbatch a secret. However, there is another stand-out performance outside of him. Peter Weller is a powerhouse as Admiral Marcus, the father of Carol Marcus. Dang this guy is good. Weller is no stranger to Star Trek, playing a great baddie on the fourth season of Enterprise. Speaking of Enterprise, there's a neat little reference during the movie that connects to a plot thread (again, fourth season) from that show. Anyone who knows Star Trek will love it.

Also: Seatbelts!

Did I leave the Holodeck on?

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
For all the talk about the Klingons, you hardly see any. And the one you do see is, well, odd. I'm not sure if there's some sort of plan in this, but it seems like the Abrams Universe is trying to avoid the Klingons or keep them intentionally vague. It's strange because the Klingons were such an important adversary in the original Trek-verse. Maybe it's a set-up for a big third movie. At any rate, I hope we do see more of them in future movies.

Also, for the 23rd Century, Earth still feels a lot like the 21st century. Just like the Nokia phones, old cars, and "Budweiser Classics" in the first movie, you have some old-fashioned alarm clocks (that look older than the ones I have) and hospital bedrooms that feel like they were taken right out of a soap opera. Would any of these things, as they're presented here, really be around in the 23rd century? Mixed in with more advanced tech, it's just a weird juxtaposition. I guess a bed is a bed in any century...it just didn't look right.

And Also: Stardates aren't years. (see: STAR TREK review)

Back to Iowa for repairs...

It's possible a couple of months from now, as I assimilate this further (it's futile after all), I may start seeing cracks in the proverbial hull plating. No doubt, I'm seeing this through 3D rose tinted glasses, and things always look fuzzy when you take those off. But for now, as it currently stands, INTO DARKNESS rises to the occasion. It's another big-stakes, big-consequences event movie, but since you're also watching these characters grow and become leaders, I would say this movie surpasses the previous one in heart, emotion and spectacle. Do yourself a favor and see this on the biggest screen you can. It's worth every penny and more. 

Abrams: just take all my money. I surrender.


-Starbase 133


2 comments:

  1. I joined G+ just to comment here, the tards. Anyways...

    I agree on the Abrams comment. Also, the scenes at the end were emotionally compelling, which makes 2 for 2, so gj Abrams! In the original series, movies 2, 3 (even though it was not a great movie), and 6 had that emotional component for me, so that's 50%.

    Also, in the original series, we didn't have Klingons much until #3, so we're guaranteed to have them next movie. This one set it up too.

    Likes: The story was compelling on many levels, and delivered great performances from everyone - I'm a Benedict fan until death. He's rapidly seeking placement on my Top 5 list for actors. I was emotionally connected, which is hard for a movie to do cause I'm so jaded. The action was non-stop. The banter was maximum. The movie felt fulfilling in general.

    Dislikes: Uhura [sp?] is still a minor character at best. She seemed so unlikely even at the end, it felt like, "Okay so what can we have her do that has significance?" They should have had her do more in the negotiation part. That seemed like her forte, but even then, she seemed out of place, which was ridiculous. Even the other girl, Carol Marcus, seemed to have more layers. Overall, the movie spent SO MUCH time on action that it took away from more character development time - which was a shame since what we had was done so well (except Uhura).

    The "second" ending seemed pointless. Why did Benedict do that to the ship? What was the goal? In the end, it just took away from the marvelous, emotional "first" ending. Remember the original #2. That ending had serious meat to it, then the movie just ended, leaving room for speculation. Wish Abrams had more spine to do that sort of thing.

    Also, I recall original Kirk winning due to knowing tech better and doing subtle negotiations better in the old one (trying not to have spoilers here). This one, he seemed along for the ride (except for the "first" ending, of course).

    All in all, I could feel JJ Abrams grabbing my credit card from my wallet. Sure, man, you can have it. On to Star Wars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely was a blast. Heck, I was so engaged I eventually forgot to notice when scenes expanded for Imax. This movie definitely felt epic.(maybe they ran out of money when they had to do the hospital bedroom)

    And as much as I felt giddy when the villain's identity was revealed, I kinda wish it was a new character. Their motivations and passions are different, which I guess is okay, but half makes me want the old one. I think it will be more tied to Spock in this one vs Kirk, since his "revenge" would involve him. So a twist I guess.

    As for the Klingons, it does still feel like they are keeping them somewhat secret. I think it will definitely expand in the next film(s), I think they are just trying to pump us up for it, kinda like in DS9 when you anticipate the "war".

    Christopher, I know what you mean with the two endings. Obviously you can't top the emotional resonance of the old movie's ending.(you gotta remember, in TOS movies they already HAD their 5+ year mission so the feelings are different) The run-around fight seemed too over the top, but I think that's the way things play in Abram's world, cram everything you can in.

    ReplyDelete